Asheville Hotel

Asheville HotelBuilt in 1912, the Asheville Hotel was designed by Richard Sharp Smith, supervising architect for the Biltmore Estate. The building was constructed for the Elks Club and Home, with the upper floors providing furnished rooms for members from 1912 to 1923. In 1923, the Asheville City Directories list the building as the Jenkins Building (furnished rooms) and became the Hotel Asheville in 1932. In 1957, the building became Shulman’s Department Store and a metal facade was added, hiding the brick facade and balcony.

Asheville Hotel Asheville Hotel Asheville Hotel

Before

After

After

The building has been empty since the early 70s and was returned to use in 1995. The Haywood and Walnut streetfront spaces are retail and the third, fourth and fifth floors contain 29 residential units accessed from Walnut Street. Building residents can enjoy City views from the rooftop garden and sunroom.

Leasing information: Leslie & Associates - 828-253-1517 - www.leslieandassoc.com

General Contractor: KCB Construction - www.kcbconstruction.com

Architect: Jim Samsel Architects - http://www.samselarchitects.com

Malaprops, a nationally recognized independent bookstore, occupies the Haywood level retail space. www.malaprops.com 828-254-6734.

Zambra, a tapas restaurant and wine bar, is located on the Walnut level. 828-232-1060 - www.zambratapas.com.

Asheville Hotel
55 Haywood Street/85 Walnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801